Thursday, February 09, 2006

So who is sexy?
I read a column in a small-town newspaper about about sexy men the other day. The author and a friend were perusing a copy of "People" magazine's 20 Years of the Sexiest Men Alive. These ladies decided the men profiled were decidedly tame. The author's preference tends to run to guys in Wranglers who drive pick-ups and carry pocket knives. This got me to thinking about the men I think are sexy.
I don't remember every guy on the "People" list, but there are some that are pretty unforgettable. Mel Gibson is one. Tom Selleck is another. I think Pierce Brosnan and Denzell Washington also made the list. All of these guys are-- wow! I see her point, though. The older I get the more I appreciate the innate sexiness of the Average Man. I look at pictures of Brad Pitt and other current "hotties" and yes, they are cute, maybe too cute. Too pretty. I guess I have learned to appreciate "flaws". Flesh and blood is sexier than plastic. It's just too smooth! I am just not interested in six-pack abs, or "buff". If a guy has a belly, that is more than OK, especially if he (the guy, not the belly) talks to me.
Other discoveries: hair is optional. Creativity is not. Neither is kindness, compassion, intelligence, or a sense of humor. And as a musician who has dated a number of non-musical people, musical literacy has become a must. Cleanliness remains a priority. So is kindness to animals.
Another trait I look for is a heart for God. This doesn't mean he has to be "There" yet, just on the journey.
I know lots of sexy guys. Some are young, some are middle-aged. Some have long hair, some have no hair. Only one or two might be considered "cut". All of them have the above attributes. And they all share a great capacity to love. Some are taken. Their wives are lucky women. One or two are still single. Maybe I can catch me one. Wish me luck! Yours, Fannie Ryan