Sunday, September 18, 2005

Momma and Daddy--My earliest memory of my mother must have happened when I was around age 2. I was sitting in her lap and she was cuddling me. She wore a sun dress with a full skirt. The pattern was water mills (this was the mid-sixties). I think she was singing "In the Good Old Summertime". There must be a reason I associate that song with the "water mill" sun dress. Momma waited until she was in her thirties to marry: certainly unusual in a time when most women were wives and mothers by age 25. She also had a career. At the time of her marriage she had been working in a hospital as a lab technician for 15 years. She made good money, had a lot of friends, and a great wardrobe. It took a pretty special man for her to give up single life. But then she is a pretty special lady herself. She has faced much adversity in her life. She lost her father at a young age, and saw both her sisters suffer in terrible marriages. One was married to an abusive man who may have been responsible for her death. Her other sister was an alcoholic who died in jail. Momma's extended family is marked by alcholism, suicide and mental illness. She is a brave woman.
Like I said, it took a very special man to motivate her to give up single-hood. Actually, "special" doesn't begin to do him justice. I wish every girl could have a daddy like mine was. He adored my mother, and worshipped his "little girls". The only thing he loved more than us was his God. The son of a holiness preacher (Methodist) and a school teacher, he made teaching his career. For him, it was a calling. He gave all he had for his students. There are some folks out there who are fine men and women instead of inmates and unwed mothers because of Daddy.
My sister and I were very fortunate to have been brought up my these two people. They instilled in us solid values and spoiled us with love. They tought us compassion and to care about justice. Their greatest legacy is their faith in God. We were never rich except in the things that matter. They weren't perfect parents, but they were close enough for us.
I am still single (some of my friends are grandparents!), but if the Lord should bless me with a husband (and I pray He will), I have two great role models to follow who left me a great recipe for a happy marriage.
September 29 is Momma's 77th birthday, and the 24th is the 10th anniversery of Daddy's "homegoing". So Happy Birthday, Momma, and Daddy, I'll see you over yonder! I love you both!