Sunday, December 11, 2005

Reading books: I do it to relax, and to improve my mind. Sometimes these things happen at the same time. Imagine that! When I was in eighth grade I began making the transition from children's books to more "adult" fare. I started with Harlequin Romances. I thought I was SO grownup. The first one I read was about an English art student who went to Norway to work in a hotel for the summer. Of course she fell in love with owner, who was tall, blonde, and sexy. He treated her like dirt and a sex object to boot. She married him anyway. Harlequins haven't changed much, except sex happens in the first chapter instead after the book ends. From Harlequins I graduated to Barbara Cartland and "bodice rippers". In case you don't know what a "bodice ripper" is, let me explain: the big, thick, historical romances with an insanely handsome guy in a clinch with some gorgeous, half-dressed girl with long, red tresses on the covers. They have titles like, "Sweet Savage Love". My favorites were the ones about the girls who got kidnapped by handsome Indian braves. Is that sick, or what!
By age 15, I was reading classics: "Jane Eyre", "Pride and Prejudice", Dickens. And I forgot: I read "Gone With the Wind" at 13 as well. GWTW has elements of all of the above. I haven't read GWTW in years. Need to dig that one out again. At about the same time, I discovered other works of popular fiction such as "Rebecca". I have reread "Rebecca" so many times, I lost count.
My late high school years introduced me to Steinbeck. Tom Joad is my hero! When I got to college, I found Flannery O'Connor and Tolstoy. I also discovered the other great Southern writers: Capote, Eudory Welty, and Faulkner. Rather late, I finally read "To Kill a Mockingbird". It wasn't required reading when I was in school. I read it at 25, and I'm very glad I waited. I fell in love with this book in a way a child can't. It is so real! My sister is Scout, and my precious dad was Atticus.
In my 30s I made a return to selected works of popular fiction: Tom Clancy's "Hunt for Red October", John Grisham, Herman Wouk, and Rosamund Pilcher. I also discovered that Christian fiction could be good. I fell in love with Jan Karon's Mitford series. I almost hate for these books to be labeled Christian fiction, for fear that the label deters many potential readers. Most of the Christian fiction I have read is, in my opinion, substandard. Actually, most of it is terrible. I have seen improvements over the past few years. I think Jan Karon has raised the bar. It was about time Catherine Marshall's "Christy" had some company in the quality Christian fiction department.
If one is looking for Christian books that are not shallow, yet don't go over your head, check out Philip Yancy, Henri Nouwen, John Stott, C.S. Lewis, and a new kid on the block, Lauren Winner. Ms. Winner is young, but very wise beyond her years. I have enjoyed every word she has written. And if you are of a contemplative turn, you may like Susan Muto. For the scholarly among us, there is Frederick Buechner. And then there is Brennen Manning. If you want a fresh perspective on God's grace, his "Ragamuffin Gospel" is a must-read. It will change your life!
One thing I look forward to when all my school work is over with and I have a paying job is time to read again. The first book I plan to dig into is "Second Coming" by Walker Percy. I can't wait!