Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I bought a Cosmopolitan magazine the other day. I haven't bought one in a couple of years. Cosmo has always been a guilty pleasure. Until about 10 years ago I bought one almost every month. Though I no longer buy Cosmo on a regular basis, I usually flip through the latest issue when I go to the salon.
If one is a long-time reader of Cosmo (I started in the '80s), one will notice that many changes have taken place, especially since Helen Gurley Brown retired as editor. Though I was never really a Cosmo girl ( don't live in a big city, work in middle management, wear haute couture or do other things Cosmo girls are known for), I found many of the articles stimulating. I enjoyed the monthly book feature, and always intelligent writing, even if the writer offered opinions I might not agree with. The magazine reflected Ms. Brown's philosophy, and though I certainly have never ascribed to her "Sex and the Single Girl" take on life and sexuality, I knew I could always count on Cosmo to keep me informed on issues affecting women. Flipping through the latest issue was just a reminder of why I know longer am a regular reader.
Cosmo, to put it as tactfully as I can, has been "dumbed down". The articles are trite, full of celebrity gossip, and silly slang expressions(example: sex is usually referred to as "sack sessions".) Are they kidding? Do they really think women talk like that? Cosmo has become an insult to the intelligence of real women. I suppose their ideal target reader is someone representative of the women who send in tales of their juvenile exploits in the "Cosmo Confessions" feature. Provided this stuff isn't made up, these "children" need to be grounded, put in a corner, and made to write sentences. Some of them deserve a spanking (though I guess they would like it)! If your behavior is juvenile, so your punishment should be as well! And though this feature can be entertaining ( and certainly makes me feel better about myself), Cosmo deserves a thump on the forehead for publishing such drivel!
I made up my mind to never buy another Cosmo. This rag is a waste of my money and my time. I don't think I will even flip through one while I get my highlights. I will take a book instead.