Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wow! I can't believe I finished my music therapy internship a month ago! I have had one interview (didn't get the job). I really didn't expect to get an interview this soon, and I didn't expect to get the first job I applied for. It would have been nice, but I don't think it was the job for me. If it had been, I would have gotten it.
The interview was in a major city near the small town where I interned, so after my interview, I went to visit. As I drove into town, I got a little lump in my throat, because this little town has become like home to me. I was so excited to be there! Leaving on Christmas Eve was very hard. I made several close friends, and had created a nice little niche for myself there. I went to a great church, sang in a superb community ensemble, and realized I found a place I could stay for a long time. So I was ecstatic to be back "home". And I had a great time--stayed two extra days! I needed to be there. The only hard part was having to leave.
The place where I grew up is OK. My family is there. And I love them very much. But it isn't my place anymore. I don't like the person I turn into when I live in my mother's house. I think for my mental health, I need to be somewhere else: somewhere around a half a day's drive away. Preferably, the place I consider to be "home" now. These new folks in my life are my family, too. They are as dear to me as my flesh and blood. And they love me. I think I could make a good life there. And Lord willing, I am going to try. There are no music therapy jobs there right now. But I am exloring all my options. Perhaps, with a little creativity, I can put something together that is workable. Wherever I am, I want to do music therapy contract work. And if something opens up where I interned, I already will be close by. Wish me luck and send up your prayers. God wants all of us to shine!
Yours, Fannie Ryan