Thursday, January 26, 2006

I love classic films more than I love chocolate. Almost as much as I love reading. But I already wrote about books. So this is my treatise on film.
There are a few movies I love made after 1970, but not many. After all, films made after 1970 have no Cary Grant. Al Pacino pales in comparison (sorry, Method Mavens!) Cary Grant made acting look effortless, easy. He could say more with a facial expression than most actors can with dialogue (see "Arsenic and Old Lace").Of course, he wasn't a bit hard on the eyes. He was at the pinnicle of his beauty in 1954's "To Catch A Thief", when he was almost 50. Swoon!!
One Hitchcock film puts me in mind of another--1940s "Foreign Correspondent"with Joel McCrea. This is a great film, though not as well known as some of Hitch's other efforts. Gosh, was Joel McCrea ever a cutie! He had a great nose and wonderful chin. He was rugged--real manly! Not too many younger folks even know who he is. Other classic McCrea films are Preston Sturges' "Palm Beach Story"(1942), "Sullivan's Travels" (the exact year escapes me: early 40s) and my favorite, "The More the Merrier" from 1942.
McCrea was related by marriage to Jack Lemmon. Their kids got married. If I had to pick just one favorite actor, it would be Jack Lemmon. Don't ask me to pick my favorite performance, though. That isn't possible. How could I choose between "Some Like It Hots" bass-playing Daphne and Ensign Pulver throwing James Cagney's palm tree overboard? Or Bud Baxter from "The Apartment" and Felix Unger? Just can't do it. Jack, we miss you!
My favorite actress is Audrey Hepburn. She is luminous in "Funny Face". I just love to watch her. But I think I get even more pleasure from Ginger Rogers. She could eat some scenery! Just take a look at 1942s "The Major and The Minor". Billy Wilder directed this wonderfully funny film, as well what many consider to be the funniest movie ever made, the aforementioned, "Some Like It Hot", from 1959. As Joe E. Brown's character in this film, Osgood Fielding III said, "Zowee!" I laugh until I hurt every time I watch it. It should have won an Oscar.
I couldn't write about film and not mention my favorite film, "Casablanca". This movie has the whole package: the acting, the dialogue, the wonderful black and white cinematagraphy. I adore the ending. Lots of folks don't. I think I'll get it out and stick it in the VCR. But first, let's pop some popcorn.
Yours, Fannie Ryan