Sunday, October 14, 2007

Well, I left Nashville over four months ago, and I still miss it. What was I thinking! When I came to Milledgeville, Georgia two years ago I had never lived in a large city (I lived in Birmingham, Alabama from age 3-5. But does that really count? I mean, at 3, who thinks about the size of one's town?) So I thought, erroneously, that I was strictly a small town girl. I found that once I got used to big city traffic I liked city life just fine. So what did I do? I moved to Mayberry. I am somewhat bored. And the fact that my significant other is back in Nashville doesn't help.

I visit him when I can, and did so last weekend. The local free weekly/alternative paper (one of my favorite reads!) published their annual "Best of Nashville" issue and it got me to thinking about a "Best of Milledgeville" list. I abandoned the idea of putting one together pretty quickly. What would I list? Best medium security prison? Actually, Milledgeville is a pretty nice place. And while at one time, I couldn't imagine a better place to live, it just isn't me anymore.

Nashville is home. I may not live there phsyically, but it is HOME. And it is only 2 hours from my family. But I digress. I began this post to list my own "Best of Nashville". There may be a few overlaps and since I love to eat, more than a few eateries. So here goes:



BEST BURGER: Fat Mo's. Would be the best in any city!



BEST BARBEQUE: I just love BarbieCutie!. The meat is flavorful and smoky, the hoe cakes are great, and there is a large variety of sides to choose from. And they are all good!



BEST COFFEE HOUSE: My vote goes to Fido in Hillsborough Village. It's hip, but not snobby, the coffee is flavorful and never tastes burned, the sweet goodies are homemade tasting, and the menu items are innovative and delicious. I recommend the fish tacos.



BEST BREAKFAST: This is a difficult category. I love breakfast at several different places, but since I have to pick a favorite, I go with Athens Family Restaurant. This Greek cafe serves up a great American breakfast! Most dishes are served up with a side of their version home fries. These are to die for! Regular hash browns are just ordinary when compared with these spuds. And I prefer their pancakes to Pancake Pantry's.



BEST SANDWICH: Bread and Company takes this honor. It seems that no one is ambivalent about Bread and Company. I have heard complaints about service, but I have always gotten great service there(I always go to the one in Belle Mead) , and the food is good, good! It's a little pricey, but it's so yummy!



BEST ICE CREAM: No doubt about it: Pied Piper Creamery in East Nashville runs away with this one. The flavors have pun-ridden fun names, and the ice cream is creamy and, well, swell! My favorites are Banana Fo-fanna Pudding (tastes JUST LIKE my mom's homemade banana pudding) and Movie Star: lemon ginger ice cream that tastes like Carr's lemon ginger tea cookies. That's a very good thing!



BEST CAJUN FARE: Ri'chard's Cajun Cafe in White's Creek serves up the best gumbo this side of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Notice I didn't say New Orleans. Mississippi also has great cajun and creole food. Ri'chard features live music nightly, and you never know who might turn up. Be sure to try Sunday brunch, which also features live music.



BEST SEAFOOD: One can find good seafood all over town. But the best is at Florida Seafood Kitchen in Donelson. Now some places might be more ambiant, and certainly, some are pricier. But that don't make 'em' better! The Kitchen's Best Platter for one is plenty big enough for two. My boyfriend and I can't eat it all! And we regret that too, because it was delicious! Don't pass this one by!



BEST SOUL FOOD: In a town where good soul food is plentiful, I love Poe Boy Luncheon on Dickerson Road. This tiny place serves up some divine fare with the best hot water corn bread in Nashville. The menu changes daily, but no matter what's cooking, you know it's good. Be sure to visit on a Friday, and try the fried fish with spaghetti, white beans and slaw. It's a combination I'd never heard of, but Poe Boys regular patrons grew up with it, and swear it's the only way to eat catfish. One taste and I almost agree.



BEST SPOT FREQUENTED BY TOURISTS AND LOCALS ALIKE: This honor goes to Demos' Steak and Spaghetti House. I must admit I love this place. My two favorite dishes are the pepper steak, (steak strips saute'd with bell peppers and onions and mixed with a flavorful tomato sauce and served over pasta) and the pot roast, which is comfort food at its best.

This has become a very long post. I have more on my "best of Nashville" but will save it for another entry. If you read this and it motivates you to visit Nashville, happy eating!



Yours, Fannie Ryan

Labels: